Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Friday, June 12, 2009

Vistors in San Diego

It's been a fun couple of days and we have a lot of fun stuffed planned still but I thought I would take a couple minutes to update our blog before I get too far behind on it. I've got a lot of pictures that I want to share.

On Wednesday we picked up some of my family from the airport. They are staying with us until Monday. :-) Dawson has been loving all the extra attention! He has been smiling and waving so much! Pretty much any time he sees somebody, it's really cute.

My dad keeps telling me how amazed he is that Dawson can get around so well even though he still doesn't crawl. He has seen the videos that I post in the blog but it's different to see in person I guess.

Anyway, after we picked them up from the airport we went to Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery to visit my dad's brother's grave.


It's amazing how big this cemetery is. You would think that it would be hard to find the headstone that you are looking for but they've actually got a really neat set up that makes it's really easy. You just have to go into the office and there is kiosk where you type the last name of the person you are looking for and that narrows it down, then you click on the person you are looking for and it prints out a map for you.

We didn't take this picture, I found it on wikipedia but I wanted to share it so you could see how impressive this cemetery is. It overlooks the ocean and it looks really neat.

After the cemetery we went to Hodad's for some lunch. Dave and I have been wanting to try this place for a couple weeks now after we heard about it on Diners, Drive-in's and Dives on the Food Network channel with Guy Fieri. Everybody was really impressed with it, I'm really glad that we went. Their burgers are so good!


There was a long line to get into Hodad's when we got there. (The picture actually shows the line there was when we left, it was still as long as it was when we first got there.)


It was definitely worth the wait! Dave and I are going to have to go there again before we move!


After lunch we headed over to the base to buy tickets from the MWR office. While we were at the Exchange we found a "5 Little Monkeys" book for Dawson! :-) I was super excited, I sing that to him all the time and he loves it. Then we headed over to the Commissary for some groceries and then we headed home.

Then yesterday we went on a 2 hour Harbor Excursion tour of the bay. It was so neat! Dawson had a lot of fun, he loved being on the boat and looking out into the water.

One of the first things that we saw on the tour was Dave's ship! The USS Nimitz. I see the ship all the time but I still get excited every time I see it. It's so big!


Just some fun facts about the Nimitz while I am showing a picture of it...

The ship has a crew of nearly 3,000 men and women and when deployed the air wing brings an additional 2,000 personnel.

Overall length - 1,115 feet (that's longer than 3 football fields put together!)
Overall width - 252 feet

Nimitz reaches more than 23 stories high from the keel to the top of the mast.

You can find a lot more information about the Nimitz on this site:
http://www.nimitz.navy.mil/PDF/welcome.pdf

Ok, on to more of the tour...

We saw a whole bunch of sea lions! :-)


There was also a dolphin that was seen jumping out of the water but I missed that.

This is probably my favorite picture of my dad and Dawson. Them looking at each other and smiling is just so sweet.


It was kind of cold when our tour first started so we had Dawson all bundled up. There was a little room on the boat with glass windows and that's where we spent most of the first half of the trip. We still had great views of everything and Dawson stayed warm so it was perfect.

The second half of the trip was a lot warmer. I was able to take off his jacket and wasn't worried about him being outside.


My sister, Becca with Dawson when it was still cold. Look at him all bundled up. :-P


Here is Carrie and Ashley:


Me and Dave...yes, my husband is a goofball.


Here is Dawson waving hi! His "Lil Sailor" shirt was perfect for our day out on the ship.


He loved looking at his shadow. We were trying to get him to look at the camera but he wanted to get his shadow.


Dawson found a girlfriend on the boat, too. It was really cute, he noticed the other baby from across the boat so my dad decided he should go over and meet her. She was such a cutie! She's 4 months old...look at all that hair! Dawson and his first girlfriend:


They both have their tongues sticking out in this picture, I thought it was cute.


We couldn't skip lunch!


He was such a good boy the whole time. :-) I think he had a lot of fun looking at everything and just being outside. He loves getting out of the house.


He fell asleep as soon as we got to the car, he was a tired baby!


And lastly, before we headed home, Dave and I reenacted the statue in front of the midway. :-P

6 comments:

Becca =] said...

Aww this trip has been so fun! I love biein out here with you guys =]
Dawsons little girlfriend is cute =]
The ship ride was fun too =]
I can't wait to go to Dave and Busters haha =]

Anonymous said...

It looks like you guys are having so much fun!! I'm super jealous. :-P

You got some great pictures. I love the one of Dad and Dawson, They both look so happy.

lol..Dawson looking at his shadow..so sweet and innocent.

Love you guys!!! **Brandee**

Christina said...

Looks like a lot of fun! The pictures of Dawson are very cute, as usual, and the pic of you guys reenacting the statue is such a cute idea!

Dave said...

It has been fun. I wish I could be around today too. I'm looking forward to the rest of the weekend. I'll leave the suspense of what's next for your next blog though ;-)

kathy penningon said...

how fun is that...im so jealous. good job jammers on taking such awesome pics.
i can't wait to see my handsome...i mean my "mini" handsome, i have to ad the "mini" cause handsome has always been my nickname for bronson but i can't stop calling dawson that too cause he is so...so...handsome.
i think my favorite picture was your reinactment of the statue....so..so...cute... luv it!!! the picture of your dad and dawson was cute too, but i think beca was thinking..."i remember when my dad use to hold me" *lol*...i luv ya beca your so cute.
love you guys tons, keep having fun and posting pics. xoxo mom

Anonymous said...

this pic is cool